The ravines. Vilalba dels Arcs
Trench line, of which about 700 meters are preserved, which was part of the republican defense network between Vilalba dels Arcs and La Pobla de Massaluca. Many of its original elements are still preserved, such as sniper wells, shelters and huts or evacuation lines.
The devees. La Fatarella
Rear position that was part of the Fatarella protection network. The preserved refuge was erected by the soldiers of the position, who used it as a place of refuge and a bedroom. Above you can still see part of the trench line, in a zigzag shape in order to facilitate its defense.
The Old Town. Corbera d’Ebre
Located at the top of the Montera hill, it remains a mute symbol of the tragedy of this conflict. The visitor, walking today through the remains of streets and among the destroyed houses, can not help but recall the violence of the bombing and the misfortune of the nearly 2,500 inhabitants who then lived in the town.
The Fallen Houses. El Pinell de Brai
These houses in Pinell de Brai are an example of the state in which some nuclei of the republican rear remained after the fighting. The population, of 1,800 inhabitants, housed stewardship, health and rest services, which made it a priority target for Franco’s aviation and artillery during the months of bombing.
Mirador del Bassot. Vilalba dels Arcs
This sector of Vilalba dels Arcs, so called because it had a pond that supplied water to the population, was the scene of intense fighting between 25 and 29 July. The Francoist troops of the 50th Division resisted the harsh Republican assault on the population that did not succeed, leaving the traces of war in much of the town, clearly visible today.
Sierra de Pàndols. Cota 705 El Pinell de Brai
Known as Punta Alta, its height allowed dominance over the other elevations of the Pàndols mountain range, the scene of heavy fighting between 9 and 19 August 1938. The loss of this level, on August 13, did not mean, however, the expulsion of Republican troops from the mountains, which did not occur until November 11.
Trenches of the Punta del Duc. La Pobla de Massaluca
In the middle of a privileged area, with excellent views over the river Ebro, you can discover a fortified environment that was part of the defensive line built along the river Algars to protect the territory from a Franco invasion. The rehabilitated trails allow you to follow the paths of Republican soldiers during the more than one hundred days of battle.
Coll del Moro. Gandesa
At the top of a small hill, located west of Gandesa, the Francoist commanders set up their observatory, from which the entire front was dominated. From there, General Franco himself led the third offensive against the Republican defenses in September 1938.
Millet Fort. Homemade
This fortification belongs to the defensive line of Algars, created by the Generalitat in 1937 to stop the offensive that was expected from Aragon. The set, divided into two spaces, includes all the elements that characterize these facilities: an anti-aircraft shelter, galleries to house artillery pieces, trenches and a water tank.
Fort d’en Blario. Batea
This fort is another of the facilities that integrated the defensive line of Algars. In addition to the elements of this fortified point (shelters, galleries and artillery points), the space provides unbeatable views over the spaces of the Battle of the Ebro.
Memorial of the Camposines. La Fatarella
At the foot of the hermitage of Sant Bartomeu, this space was conceived as a monument to all participants in the battle, you can find the plaques that collect the names of the dead and missing identified so far and an ossuary where they deposit the remains of the soldiers who, even today, appear in the territory.
Located in the middle of the current route of the Via Verda, in 1938 the Bot railway station was the last stop of the national convoys carrying troops and equipment to feed the Ebro front.
More information at www.batallaebre.org